Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Two Women in a Garden

I came across this painting (by Kasimir Masevich) as I was googling images of two women and it struck me as an apt representation of this mentoring experience. While our appointments were always with a set goal in mind, there was also a great deal of opportunity to enjoy each other's company and to get to know one another better.

I asked SS the following questions:
What did you learn about the mentor/mentee process?
I came into this fully expecting to be on the receiving end. It surprised me to find that I had something to give as well.

How did you feel about the process as a whole?
As a teacher, I feel that it's an absolutely natural and necessary part of life. It was a pleasure to be asked to participate.

What did you learn about the mentor/mentee process?
I've always known that it's a two way street. I've generally been the mentor of late so it was nice to be the mentee.

What did you learn about yourself as a mentee?
I wasn't at all intimidated at my lack of skills. It was easy to open up and ask questions. It was a very comfortable and non-threatening process.

Do you feel that the goals of the process were met? Why or Why Not?
Absolutely.My goals were met and I got the opportunity to set new goals. We did get off track somewhat but the fact that we changed direction does not need to be taken as a failure.

Is there anything else you can share with me that would help me understand your perception of this process?
It's helpful to have someone willing to help you at your own pace. Working on my needs, one-on-one, is uniquely satisfying.


Thanks, SS, for working with me and letting me work with you. I learned quite a bit as well and am looking forward to having the shoe on the other foot when you teach me about Microsoft Publisher. I am always a little resentful of tasks that I feel are an unnecessary layer upon a core product. Having to find someone to mentor (and don't forget, that's MENTOR, not coach) and to then write about it and dissect it just seemed unnatural. However, having finally reached our final session, I find myself strangely reluctant to see it end. As with BTSA, I found that being forced to reflect on a process is invaluable. It is very eye-opening to have to dissect the experience and helpful to have a record of the experience. I'm glad that we'll continue to complement each other.

No comments: