Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Look at This Photograph...


For this session, SS and I wanted to start putting together her webpage. It was storyboarding time and, while it was a very productive session, we really didn't accomplish what we had set out to do. It was a time to flesh out the site but we became bogged down in details.

The main thought was to create the 'floor plan' for her web pages. We have a gallery at the school and it would be lovely to have something online that would mirror that. However, as we started working, we found ourselves getting distracted by the application Photoshop Elements. SS began cropping photos, adding text, and taught ME quite a bit about this photo editing program. We were a good team; when she was stuck with something, I would hit the help menu and try to figure a way through it. It was interesting to see how far we came. Having the luxury of 'studentless' time and a non-admin agenda, we were very productive.


She felt that it was a good session because she discovered some useful shortcuts in the program that she had been using somewhat routinely up to this point. Having a new set of eyes helped her out in this case. While whe was cropping, I was reading up on how the program works. While I wasn't really answering her questions (because she didn't ask any), I was trying to anticipate her needs. We had one moment of pure genius when I found a menu that was more intuitive for her style than the one that she was currently using. I've never used a photo editing program and it was very interesting to watch her at work. It gave me ideas for what I want to do this summer....with all the free time that I'll have since I'll be done with iMet! ;)


For our next session, she will have finished editing her pictures and we will begin 'furnishing' the web page. P.S. I found an interesting site with lots of mentoring resources: Free Management Library.

No comments: