Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mamma Mia! Mentor Mia!

I honestly have to say that I believe that scheduling this course the same semester as our culminating project is cruel and unusual. I feel that I have such a split focus. Of course, it doesn't help that my job description has changed this semester as well; I am now teaching French 2/3 (picking up someone else's slack) and have picked up some other duties (because no good deed goes unpunished). But enough about me, more about my new mentee.

She's a veteran teacher who is well-respected in the district. I think the world of her and am glad of the opportunity to work more closely with her. She wants to add content to her web page which will showcase student work and doesn't feel confident doing it on her own. Finding ways to encourage her students and broaden their horizons is always uppermost in her lessons. She never talks down to her students either. She always treats them with respect, even when she disciplines them. I find that respect goes a LONG way in creating a relationship with your students. Love 'em or hate 'em, when you treat them respectfully, they'll generally respond positively (though not necessarily eagerly) to you. Even in situations that are going south fast will it help to reduce the residual damage.

What I'm enjoying about this is that it provides an opportunity to discuss teaching philosophies without having a district agenda pushing us along, like our 'collaboration Thursdays.' SS is very 'hands on' as a student and this fits in well with my own philosophy of teaching. She hasn't expressed any concerns; nothing ventured, nothing gained in her mind. She's looking forward to creating her product.

No comments: